If your air conditioning unit is over a decade old, you should be grateful for its longevity and start thinking about replacing it. Air conditioners usually don't last longer than 10 years, so it's essential to be able to recognize any signs of trouble. These signs can help you quickly identify a problem and, in many cases, help you avoid buying a new HVAC unit altogether. Keeping your home at a comfortable temperature during the summer months requires many components to work properly. If you observe any of these 10 signs, it's time to call a professional HVAC technician.
Trying to do the repairs yourself can lead to unnecessary costs if something goes wrong. The most important maintenance task that will ensure the efficiency of your air conditioner is to replace or clean your filters regularly. Dirty, clogged filters reduce the amount of air flow and significantly reduce system efficiency. In addition, when air flow is blocked, air can bypass the filter and deposit dirt directly on the evaporator coil, which impairs the heat absorption capacity of the coil. Replacing a dirty, clogged filter with a clean one can reduce air conditioner energy consumption by 5% to 15%.
The filters, coils, and flaps of an air conditioner need regular maintenance for the unit to operate effectively and efficiently during its years of service. You may be wondering when is the right time to call a professional air conditioning service technician, especially one with a proven track record of providing high-quality air conditioning services. By maintaining and servicing your unit regularly, depending on its usage, you can reduce repair costs and save an enormous amount of money. For a thorough and dedicated inspection, contact Wright's AC & Heat for heating, ventilation and air conditioning system repair services in Houston, Texas. Having a properly functioning air conditioner is important for your family's comfort and health, and it can be easily managed with regular air conditioner maintenance. When it comes to recognizing signs that you need an HVAC maintenance service, here are 10 common indicators:
- Strange noises - If you hear strange noises coming from your AC unit such as grinding or squealing sounds, it could be an indication that something is wrong with the fan motor or other components.
- High energy bills - If your energy bills have been steadily increasing even though you haven't changed your usage habits, it could be due to an inefficient AC unit.
- Inadequate cooling - If your AC isn't cooling your home as well as it used to or isn't cooling certain rooms at all, it could be due to a refrigerant leak or other issue.
- Uneven temperatures - If some rooms in your home are cooler than others, it could be due to an issue with the ductwork or other components.
- Foul odors - If you notice strange odors coming from your AC unit or vents, it could be due to mold or mildew buildup in the ductwork.
- Excessive humidity - If your home feels more humid than usual even when the AC is running, it could be due to an issue with the condensate drain line.
- Water leaks - If you notice water leaking from your AC unit or around the indoor unit, it could be due to a clogged condensate drain line or other issue.
- Short cycling - If your AC unit turns on and off frequently without completing a full cycle, it could be due to an issue with the thermostat or other components.
- Frozen coils - If you notice ice buildup on the indoor or outdoor coils of your AC unit, it could be due to low refrigerant levels or other issues.
- Unusual smells - If you notice strange smells coming from your AC unit such as burning plastic or electrical odors, it could be due to an electrical issue.